For any overhead powerline that has been rebuilt whether for a voltage conversion, road widening projects or depreciated poles we install the new conductor above or beside the existing energized overhead line using live line tension stringing techniques. This is safely accomplished by;
1. Installing small spider ropes through each pole on traveler blocks by hand or with a small tractor, up to 2000m. Grounds are installed at every fifth and the first and last poles.
2. On stringing day a hydraulic tension machine is set up at each end, sometimes alongside a large reel trailer with an equipotential zone set up using grounding matts and a double fence, one to protect workers and one to protect the public in the case of an accidental contact.
3. We first attach a large pulling rope from one hydraulic tension machine to the small spider rope, use the small rope to pull the larger one in.
4. Next the large pull rope is attached to the new conductor on the other hydraulic tension machine, once a running ground is attached that bleeds off induction the wire pull begins.
5. Once the wire is installed and dead ended at each, the process is repeated for all conductors being installed.
6. Lastly the new wire is sagged and clipped into insulators.